T.RE.C.C.

Duomo of Naples

duomoErected by emperor Costantinus (IV century a.C.), is a 13th century Gothic cathedral dedicated to Naple's patron saint, San Gennaro and contains his sacred relicts.
On one side of the Duomo is the 4th century Basilica Santa Restituta (the oldest church in Naples) with columns believed to be from the Temple of Apollo, good ceiling frescoes, and archaeological remains from the Greeks to the middle ages. The 5th century baptistery has good 14th century Byzantine-style mosaics. Frescoes describe procession with the relicts of S.Gennaro in 1631 on the occasion of vesuvian eruption.
But, in our time, a huge festival is held when a vial of his blood is taken out of its storage place in hopes that it will liquefy.
The Chapel of the Treasure of San Gennaro is one of the great artistic manifestations of the Neapolitan Baroque. The city decided in 1527 to build the chapel, dedicated to the patron saint of Naples for freeing the city from the recent plague.Treasure is full of ex voto plenty of art and richness.

Share Button

Images - Churches

  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter

Banner-verticale

Website optimized for Internet Explorer 9, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Copyright © 2013 T.Re.C.C. Turismo Religioso Cooperativo Campano - Via Conte Carlo di Castelmola 14 - 80133 Napoli